Monday 6 February 2012

7 Stages in making your first video blog

Now the easiest way of doing your first video is to use the webcam and just record yourself. Most of us do this, or we use the video camera in the mobile phone to record us or something going on around us.

I want to look at the next stage in making a simple video. I singe scene - no editing - just a short little video with some naration.

Stage 1 The script
This doesn't have to be wonderful or detailed, but before you start you need to have some idea of what you are going to say.

Stage 2 Set up the Stage
Put up the green screen, or any other background and get is flat and smooth. My green screen is a piece of material and each time before I use it I need to iron it to get out the creases and then I need to hang it so that there are no creases visible in the area I am filming.

Stage 3 Set up the Lights
If you are going to us a green screen or any other background then you need to get some lights onto the background.
Set up the subect away from the background and then set up the lights on the subject so that there is no shadow cast on the background.
This doesn't need expensive lights.
When my wife is out I often use the kitchen. With the green screen placed behind the kitchen fluorescent light I get fair illumination of the green screen and then I sit far enough away To light the subject I use either just a reflector or a place a couple of small lights at 45 degrees to the subject so that they do not cast a shadow on the green screen.

Stage 4 Set up the  camera/Video
If you are like me your camera is the video as well. Place this on a tripod several feet away. You want to take the image so that it is not using too much of a wide angle as this distorts the picture.

Stage 5 Rehersal
Now everything is set up. Go through what you are going to do. Do it with the video recording if you want.

Stage 6 The Take
Now you have practiced. Go for the take - or two or three or more until you manage a perfect one.
If you can do it try the same take but from a different angle. Its great to change the viewpoint  when editing.

Stage 7 Saving
Once the video is recorded then save it to the computer in a suitable format.
What is the best format? Mov, wmv or mp4.
Using videopad it doesn't matter too much and the subject of a later blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment