Monday 23 January 2012

Duplicated shares of My Documents, Pictures and Music

 I had a recent irritating niggle with Windows 7. On my Home network I share My Documents on my main machine so I can access it anywhere on the network.. When I looked at this instead of My Documents - usually shared as documents I had in addition document~1 and document~2 up to document ~21
To delete these files I went onto the main machine and in Windows explorer right clicked on the My Documents Folder (not Documents but the folder underneath this) Select Sharing.






Then click on Advanced Sharing, and the screen below appears











In the share name click on the down arrow to get a list of all the alternative names for this share. Once the name that you do not want is in the box then click on remove.












The share goes as fast as it appeared. Now I am still not sure what I did to make all the duplicate shares of Music, Pictures and My Documents, but at least I have a easy and safe way of removing them.
Odd it was only this machine - since I share other folders on other machines - it only seemed to be My Documents




No comments:

Post a Comment