Tuesday 17 January 2012

Changing Router Hardware

BT Home Hub 3
It happens all the time. Something goes wrong with you Hardware and it needs to be replaced. Recently my BT Home Hub died. I don't really know what was wrong with it, the BT engineer on the phone agreed with me that it was a tiny bit dead, so the replacement arrived.
Its at that point the problems start.
How many of us set new  settings and do not record what they are?
Now my old Hub was dead so asking it was useless. The big problem was not that I might of changed something , it was which things I had changed. It took some time to go through all the menus and ensure that the new Hub was set up in the same way as the old Hub.

Passwords and WiFi
This had changed. The new Hub had a different SSID and passwords. ll the machines that accessed this Hub wirelessly needed there setups changed so that they could now access the Hub.
Any of the machines that directly accessed the Hub now had to have the administration password changed. Now I often save this password in the browser. The browsers sometimes seem to be relunctant to change to the new password but like remembering the old one.
As usual the answer to most of these problems is good notes and notes recorded in a safe and obvious place so that you can easily find them. I find that Microsoft OneNote is excellent for doing this - but of course when it is stored remotely and the internet is off because the router is broken - what do you do then.


No comments:

Post a Comment