Thursday 26 January 2012

Blown Power Supply

I had a problem with the server this morning. It seem to have died. The mouse had locked up and in the end there was nothing more to do then to power the machine power. The next problem was that the machine would not power up. No life at all in the machine, so I decided that it was most certainly the power supply. No light on the motherboard and no turning of a fan was my sneaking suspicion.

Fortunately I had a spare, 500W supply. The existing one was labelled 530W one. I decided pon a better course of action which was to remove the 600W power supply from my wife's machine and replace this with the new 500W supply since she only has one HD and two DVD's.

I then put her working 600W power supply into the server. The server has 7 drives - a small IDE with the OS on it and 6 1.5Tb drives which I use to archive all the data on a daily basis to.

The Home Server  came up quick and is now happily backing up the systems it failed to do.

With this success I looked at the bust power supply. I have one of these power supply testers from Maplins. Before I tried this out, I noticed that the power supply was rattling.

Being broken anyway I opened up the Power Supply to find out the source of the rattling to see if a screw or something had somehow made its way into the power supply.

Inside the power supply rattling around were the tops of two of the capacitors in the power supply.

Instead of a nice blue shiny capacitor here was a brown coil in its place. The tops of these capacitors must have blown off.

Casting my mind back a week or so ago , there was a bang from one of the computers. My son and I investigated but couldn't find anything. All the machines continued to work ok so we gave up looking.

Now I know that was the time when the capacitor blew and then it was just a matter of time until the machine died. I think that the locking up of the machine had nothing to do with the problem, it was the switching off and on again that the machine could not cope with.

All is now well and the Home Server has a slightly bigger power supply which should keep it happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment