Monday 23 January 2012

Beating the ISP with Torrents

We all suffer from ISP's throttling back on our Torrents.An easy way to fight back is to use a different internet connection. Now I am lucky since I have BT infinity as my main ISP with a high speed up and download. Now if I wish to download a small torrent then this is usually excellent, I fast download and I often only need to be on for a few minutes. Some torrents take much longer and once I have been on for a short while I notice my speeds slowing down considerably. My alternative ISp is Sky - not very fast but I do have unlimited downloads, and SKY keep to their word. This systems is only used for backup and at present my system is not set up with any automatic load balancing. Instead I have my sky boxes and a couple of other machines on the sky network ( my home network ) and the other machines on the BT ( company network).
The laptop that does the torrenting is on cable to the BT network and on wireless to the sky network. When BT slows the system down the sky one seems to take over keeping the speeds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment